This album has quickly become something of a legend. It’s one of the most anticipated albums of 2009 ever since the rumors of its creation ever started swirling years ago: Dark Night of the Soul, a collaboration between the producer Danger Mouse (Gnarls Barkley, Gorillaz, The Black Keys, Dangerdoom) and psych-rock act Sparklehorse (Mark Linkous).
For whatever reason (legal bullshit) this great collection of songs featuring Julian Casablancas, Frank Black, James Mercer, Wayne Coyne and Iggy Pop to name a few, has been scrapped or delayed indefinitely by EMI. I still don’t know the complete details, so I’m hesitant to post much, but the album is beautiful and I want to share at least one song.
This album is both instantly lovable and mindfuckingly trippy. That’s a combination of adjectives that can only be used for unicorns, friendly dragons, and this album. Fuck with it. You can stream the entire album at NPR.
01. Revenge (feat. Wayne Coyne)
02. Just War (feat. Gruff Rhys)
03. Jaykub (feat. Jason Lytle)
04. Little Girl (feat. Julian Casablancas)
05. Angel’s Harp (feat. Black Francis)
06. Pain (feat. Iggy Pop)
07. Star Eyes (I Can Catch It) (feat. James Mercer)
08. Everytime I’m With You (feat. Jason Lytle)
09. Insane Lullaby (feat. James Mercer)
10. Daddy’s God (feat. Nina Persson)
11. The Man Who Played God (feat. Nina Persson)
12. Grain Augury (feat. Vic Chesnutt)
13. Dark Night Of The Soul (feat. Vic Chesnutt)